Wednesday, August 4, 2010

なにもない。。。

Bugger, just lost my post! Well, considering the title is 'nothing special' I guess it doesn't matter...

So just taking a break from Kanji land. Head is spinning with all manner of shapes and stroke orders. Makes the drive home a little frightful too, as kanji keep jumping out at me from street signs/shop fronts and the like. Is worse than texting while driving. And by the time I get home I am spent. I tell ya, this becoming literate in Japan does have its pitfalls. I remember way back in 2003, when I was a naive little thing, relaxing/day dreaming/snoozing on trains because I was safe in the fact I couldn't read a lick of any of the advertisements posted around me. Is a different thing these days when I ride ye olde 電車. My eyes start darting around identifying any kanji I know, then, like I'm a character in a Dan Brown novel, I want to shout out 'Got it! I know! I know this one!' Nonetheless am pleased with my progress.

I have some favourite kanji too. I guess everyone does. At the moment mine is 水. Two readings- Wednesday and water. Water is good for the body and skin. I like water. Wednesday is hump day, and if your glass is half full that's a good thing. But it's less the meaning than the strokes. Without fail, everytime I pen these four lovely markings into my kanji renshu book they come out perfect. No bloated head here, being very honest. Other seemingly easy kanji is another story. I have a real problem with 世. Now despite its simple appearance everytime I go to scribble it down, it never comes out looking nice. 好 is another one. Am having a real love hate with relationship with it. Although combined with hiragana's き it makes for a nice meaning, it never looks proportioned on my pad. I can give or take 寒 as well. That's not to say I don't like cold weather but these strokes never look lovely when I get them out. Could write 味 forever and 友 because they always come out pleasingly to the eye. Todays five are 持 屋 声 朝 昼. There is no reason for the order. Am just flicking through my photocopy of the list and choosing at my fancy which ones I like the look of. I guess other more studious folk will order their kanji according to adjective, verb and the like. But I'm doing it my way and me likey.

Right, off to lunch. Cup Ramen and salad. Yummo!

Stay tuned...

No comments:

Post a Comment