Wednesday, August 18, 2010

ただいま

Mum and dad took off in a jet plane yesterday. Don't know when they'll be back again, but I know I'll be bear hugging them come Christmas eve where the festivities are done in summer time. Yay!

We had a great 10 days. It was unbelievable how well the three of us got along, save for mum and dad's snoring. They are a well-synced snoring machine. When one is whistling out the last of their snore, the other is nearing the peak of theirs. Was so tough being in a hotel room with that going on and no escape. Can't complain though, both hotels were a nice relief from the castle. We stayed in Hotel Nikko for 5 days and the Osaka Hilton for the last 4. Osaka Hilton is a magical wonderland of gadgets, skyscraper views and eggs on demand breakfast feasts. They even served baked beans, though it was made up all gourmet-looking with big silver ladle beckoning to the stuff. Felt like Scarlett Johannson in Lost in Translation. Pictured self many times writhing around on king size bed in pink undies while contemplating view of Osaka below. Couldn't actually re-enact said scene, as the snore team were always around.

Man it was good to get some hugs in with them. I started to realise after being here for close to one year and only having Taku's parents to observe, that mum and dad are really lovely and affectionate with one another. Of course they'll mock and have cranky pants occassionally but they kiss and hug and hold hands. When I watch Taku's parents interact I can hardly believe they conceived 3 kids together. And it got me thinking about Taku and myself. Mum even noted that we hardly hold hands these days, to which Taku replied "Yeah we do, sometimes" in his Aussie accent, so rolling laughs got in the way of any real discussion on the topic. Feels sometimes like Taku and I are the old jaded couple. I know Taku is different here to in Oz. I know his job is all consuming and he misses his life in Brisbane dancing and playing baseball. I just wish he could embrace it all and be more positive. Or maybe I should embrace it all and be more open minded, hey? An unsuspecting hug on the odd occassion would not be turned down, though...

Have decided from tomorrow I will start 100 days of positive thinking. Everytime I entertain a negative nelly I'm going to quash it and pen a positive thought. Gratitude is on the menu too. Despite its many critics I'm going to embrace The Secret and think of 7 things to be grateful for each day. Man, this stuff comes easy to some, but I've been struggling since living here. No more voodoo on me, it's time to whip into mental and physcial shape.

がんばれ!

So here is my first positive thought- Summer will be over soon and we can all look lovingly at the mountains and note the subtle changes in the leaves. Something I don't get to appreciate in Oz.

And 7 things to be grateful for:

1. My family
2. I have a job
3. Skype is installed on my computer
4. All limbs and senses are accounted for
5. Hair, although damaged from blonde ambitions, is recovering
6. Toiletries cabinet is stocked once again with Nurofen, tampons and COLGATE!
7. Takuya is still with me despite my waterworks!

Stay tuned...

2 comments:

  1. it's always good to stop and take stock!

    sounds like you had a fabulous time while your parents were there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. thank you illalee. how do you pronounce that? i like the sound of how i say it i-laa-hee.

    this is all very exciting- my third comment:)

    ReplyDelete