Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Thick.

I love the use of this word in the English language. Stupid, ignorant, dumb etc don't have the same implication as 'thick' which I associate with the consistency of a good McDonald's thickshake. And that is how I think Japanese are educated in this country- to be as thick as possible when it comes to self-learning. It's a generalisation, but an observation I feel qualified to make.

When I taught in Australia, I used to get the occassional European, or South American student asking me thick questions like how to improve their writing/reading/listening skills. But I`d have to say Japanese outnumbered all other nationalities with Koreans coming in at a close second.

When I decided to spend 3 weeks of lesson-less days at school before my summer break starts, I searched the net for the list of kanji I'd need to pass the JLPT N4 level. I then bought myself a kanji renshu book, a nice pacer, a rubber and set about learning around 5 kanji a day. Sometimes I get in a few more, but I've found that that is the most I can retain in one day. I also bought myself some kanji palm cards, which I'll take to when I finish writing out all the kanji in my list (around 300). All of this preparation and practice has been born of my own motivation. I never once sat down a 国語先生 at the schools I work and asked, 'How can I learn kanji?' It's a stupid question, indeed thick question to ask. Why? Because it's so bloody obvious. Like, how can I lose weight? Exercise, eat right! Granted everyone needs to do a bit of poking around to find what helps them remember best, but I've learnt what suits me, without consulting a teacher and asking a bleedingly obvious question.

It's a cliche I know, but if I had 円100 for everytime a bloody student asked me 'How can I improve my listening?' I would be living on 5th Avenue in Manhattan, drinking cosmos till the sun came up. How can you improve your listening? Listen. To. English. Pick. Up. A. DVD. And. Watch. It. In. English. Without. Subtitles.

I understand for some people it might not feel enough but honestly, the way I improve my Japanese listening skills is by turning on the radio in the car in the morning on my way to work, watching TV when I get home at night, or just turning on the TV while I do other stuff. I pick up so much vocabulary as well. It may not feel like you are improving your listening skills because you are not bent over a desk furiously colouring in a multiple choice test, but this is how it is done, dear Japanese student. If the education system in this country could encourage students to think as well as memorize then perhaps there wouldn't be so many people skulking around this country with 6 years of compulsory English under their belt but not a clue how to speak it.

Wow, this blogging stuff is very therapuetic and although I know I am the only one who reads my blog, it is very satisfying to get this out.

Thank you again, mum and dad for giving me the opportunity to attend 3 great schools, with great teachers and a great atmosphere to learn, think and do!

In other, more trivial news, 100yen heaven has taken a back seat since I discovered a stationary shop on my route home last week. Got myself one of those plastic boards you put between pages to keep your writing smooth. Mine is a pink Care Bear one with LOVE emblazoned on it. Also got cute United Colors of Benetton eraser (who knew they did stationary?) and a Care Bear folder yet to be utilised. Ahh, it's the small things that make you happy.

Stay tuned...

No comments:

Post a Comment